Skip to main content

Babalu Aye, Terrorism and White Privilege



My thoughts to my class this week: 

I’m always reading. Whether for class or enjoyment, I bury myself in books. Maybe I don’t lead an interesting life. But I love big books and I cannot lie… Well anyways, I was reading through some HIV related material the other night when I found something that was in its own way related to our class, more specifically to our folks who presented on Santeria this week.  I’m fascinated by this belief system in how Africans who were sold into slavery brought their beliefs with them to the Americas and found a way to incorporate their beliefs alongside the beliefs of their masters / tormenters.  The symbolism changed but it was still very much their own and of their own making. It was something they could hold onto, something from their own heritage. Santeria lives on. I’ve seen some of their altars; specifically I have a good friend who at the time had a beautiful altar in his home.  Offerings of food and liquor, cigars and candles and so much imagery, some much implied meaning. It was somewhat overwhelming, but my friend was patient in explaining the particular Orishas and their functions and duties.  There are many Orishas, but in the end I think my favorite is Eleggua. A couple of years ago I visited a botanica in Washington DC and found his image there. So he now sits in my home and guards the way for me.
Again I digress; I was reading this weekend and came upon some material related to HIV involving the Orisha – Babalu Aye. He was originally associated with being Lord of Smallpox. In times past, persons afflicted with smallpox would pray to him for healing. Well, as we all know, smallpox is a thing of the past, but what was interesting to me is that Babalu Aye is now sought after by worshippers who are looking to be healed from HIV/AIDS. Prayers and offerings are offered to him in the hopes of healing. Times change and so do the functions of various deities. In this way, he remains relevant and up to date.
I shared with you the other evening about how I was struggling inside with what has taken place in Boston. I’ve been searching for words to express some of what I am processing. I don’t “get” violence, I mean, I understand it on some level, but at least for me, this is something that is so alien to me and the way I conduct my life.  I was schooled and brought up to believe the Golden Rule. And I do, I believe that we should do unto others as we want them to do unto us, and I find that when I practice this in my own life, that I’m better for it.  That’s what makes these violent acts so horrific to me. I’m still trying to find my own words, but until I do, I really  like the perspective that Tim Wise has shared just recently. And herein is maybe another lesson for us as a class. The link is here: http://www.timwise.org/2013/04/terrorism-and-privilege-understanding-the-power-of-whiteness/
And if you are so inclined, you’ll read a perspective that in my opinion deserves to be considered.
I hope everyone has a good week.
Namaste’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility