Skip to main content

Virgin Offered as a Burnt Offering

An observation from this weekend. 

I attended a funeral for a relative of mine who recently had passed away. She was a member of the Eastern Star (an order associated with Free Masonry). My aunt was a wonderful lady, generous and kind and full of good works to her family and community. My thoughts here are not in relation to her, or to the Order itself, it has more to do with the scriptural references that were used.  In association to the five pointed star that symbolizes their Order, they referenced several Biblical figures as exemplars to consider.
Three of the five caught my attention as ladies from the Order spoke
·         Adah (daughter of Jephthah)
·         Ruth
·         Esther

These heroines of the Bible, persevered seemingly because of their faith in G-D and their submission to men. Men wrote the words that eventually became codified and now make up the B-I-B-L-E. Good women know their place in the order of things. These are stories, and I love stories. However, to lay these stories out as examples that women should emulate, well, it just horrifies me. The story of Adah is especially troubling as she was sacrificed as an offering to G-D simply because her father made a vow that his honor demanded that he keep. Stupid and barbaric. Not an example that young women should seek to follow. Again, I like stories, but these examples are simply that, glimpses into another age and how they understood the world.  They are not relevant to our current times and age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility