Skip to main content

Why Marriage Equality Matters And Why Public Health Programming Should Support Equality Initiatives

WCYB (a local TV station) posed a Facebook question this morning "Should same sex couples be allowed to marry in Virginia. Why or why not." I knew this question was coming. It was ignored on the six o'clock news last night, but it was reported on at eleven. I'm sure they were being careful just in case children might be watching the evening news. No sense in exposing children to something that would have to be discussed. Hide it away until they go to bed. Ughhhh!  Think of the childrens!!!
The comments submitted by local viewers troubles me. I'm not so shocked by what I have read, it just confirms what I already know and experience here in this area. The atmosphere here is intolerant, hateful, homophobic, and generally against anything that doesn't line up to white, religious conservative ideology (FOX news anyone?). Don't tell me to "love it or leave it." Fuck you. This is my home too. I am more than tolerant in how you live your life. You won't even give me any common courtesy here. Who's the bigot?

Marriage equality matters. There are many reasons for this, but let me give you but one item to consider. The following passage comes from my dissertation. I make the case for public health programming to help support and foster relationships and social support systems.

Just in case you might be interested, you can view my entire project here:


(The context here involves adherence issues for MSM living with HIV, the importance of positive relationships and support systems that can help keep MSM on track with their HIV medications)
 
"Public health initiatives that help foster and support positive social relationships should be considered when devising interventions and community programming. Advocating for those who experience discrimination and stigmatization (i.e., MSM, PLWHA) is a larger systems approach in addressing health challenges. For example, supporting marriage equality initiatives can help fight HIV. The recent Supreme Court decision on Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and Proposition 8 (PROP 8) will have a positive effect on the lives of same-sex couples. Marriage recognition confers legitimacy and a degree of social standing. There are many federal benefits that same-sex married couples will now be able to access that were not previously afforded to them.  Recognizing marriage equality will reduce stigma that may have prevented couples and individuals from seeking out health promoting services and behaviors. These equality actions add value and respect to their lives and as such, they may be more inclined to take better care of themselves, get tested regularly, have more open and honest conversations with their partners, friends, and family, and seek out health related information and resources (Giuliano, 2013)."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility