Skip to main content

When Queer Theory Goes All Critical Race Theory On Your Ass

I’m an admirer of both Queer Theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_theory  Critical Race Theory  http://spacrs.wordpress.com/what-is-critical-race-theory/  and as someone who has definite leanings toward social justice issues, public health, and sexual minority causes…I feel as though I see the world through a slightly different set of eyes. Rainbow colored glasses anyone?  I observe, I critique, I document, and I (try) to contribute where I can.

Today, I was faced with a myriad of student issues related to work and my responsibilities. I had an epiphany of sorts, where I could clearly see where race and SES intersected to produce disadvantages for students of color on an institutional / structural level. As a white male, I am knowledgeable enough to know that I am taught by my own white privilege NOT to see or recognize these things. But I did see it today and I’ve been wondering what my response and responsibilities are. I’m not trying to be colorblind nor do I want to whitewash issues. I do think there are still racial inequalities that must be challenged. One of the issues here is that they are not as obvious as they were in my parent’s time. They are still there just slightly out of focus and subtle in nature.  These disadvantages are institution enforced and built into the structural processes of higher education (and other social institutions).  I personally don’t think that it is enough to say that “we are all equal under the law and in our opportunities” and I don’t believe that statement is true anyways. I recognize this, and as someone who wants to practice what I preach, just how do I do that? I tweak things in my classes to be more accommodating and I attempt to live this on a personal level, but how do I incorporate this into a professional ethic? These racial biases and practices are system wide, and I am part of that system. How do I help people to succeed? What sort of praxis can be used to assist where assistance is needed? How do we beat the system and help others that are under the thumb of this power structure / influence? Not trying to be cryptic here, just writing out what I am struggling with today.  In some sense, these powers also speak to my own dissertation project, that is, that marginalized peoples (in this case HIV+ MSM) narratives (lives, lived experiences) are unheard and for the most part are not part of the dominant narrative. I’m more sensitive in this area as I see the subtleties of homophobia and HIV negativity because of my own identifications and affections. It’s hard to miss and sometimes even harder to explain and define.  This is what inhabits my mind today. It’s mine and I must sit with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility