Skip to main content

Autumn Comes to Johnson City

These images that I took today remind me that fall is not fall behind. The woods smelled wonderful. I'll confess that the smell of "swamp gas" reminds me of my childhood and this odor was prevalent in the woodland area I walked in this afternoon. Reminds me of the smell of my grandmother's back yard. Lots of good memories of running around in her backyard with my sisters and my cousins; playing hide and seek, climbing the maple and willow trees and that one HUGE oak tree that grew in the very back of their property. I remember it being as large as the huge white oak that is in front the of DP Culp Center on campus....catching fireflies and  kicking over the crawdad mounds in the wettest parts of the yard. Her backyard was swampy most of the time and the ground in certain places was wet to the touch...that slightly rotten, eggy smell. Sounds awful but it is good reminder of my childhood. A very country, earthy smell that I like.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility