Skip to main content

Spelling Counts

So I'm grading papers today for my class and I come across this little beauty. Never mind that this particular student is severely anti-everything about this public health diversity class. I have several students like him every year, that is, they all rage against anything that would cause them to consider life from another point of view. Very ethnocentric, very religiocentric in their views and positions. Not in the least willing to consider the lives of those they would label as "Other." No matter, the class is still taught and I hope that they do come away with some consideration of the lives of others.
Last week's topic dealt with examining LGBT populations as a groups and how from a health standpoint they face challenges that most folks don't even have to consider.  I had a panel of experts (college aged representatives from ETSU LGBT groups) come and discuss their lived experiences.
This particular student felt the need to write about the "dangers of gay sex." In the course of this student's overly descriptive and inaccurate play by play account of love homophile the student penned this beauty. And I quote"

" The problem of anal sex is vast. The specters stretch out leading to uncontrollable bowl movements."

Tada ! There you have it. Spelling does count. I had no idea that my anal sphincter is also known as a specter, and to engage in anal sex means my bowel movements will be uncontrollable. I'm not sure what a bowl movement is. I gently corrected his spelling errors and asked him to consider that he was assuming that only gay men have anal sex. He also made several assumptions about oral sex, to which I again replied, "you are assuming that only gay men have oral sex." Perhaps he has never considered that all sorts of people engage in these activities. I have not considered that perhaps there are those who believe that anyone who engages in anything other than penetrative penile / vaginal intercourse are on the slippery slope to hell.  Are people in this day and age still this naive? What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility