Skip to main content

We All Have Stories to Tell

Yesterday was the 7 year mark for The Affordable Care Act (ACA).  With the new administration, there has been a rabid push to "repeal and replace" the ACA. In reality, we know what this will mean for millions of Americans. Yesterday on the campus of ETSU, a group of concerned local citizens came together to hold a press conference and share how lives have been changed by the enactment and implementation of the ACA. They also shared what will be lost if the current GOP efforts are successful. They appealed to our state legislators to not go down the current dark  path, but to find other ways to protect and enhance the current policy so that the millions of Americans can continue to have affordable health care insurance and all that comes along with it. Here is one story that was shared. His story is unique, and also a story that many understand and can personally identify with.

Lovingly shared for your consideration...

I am self-employed. I am a cancer survivor and I live with a lifelong chronic condition. I am currently insured through the ACA with premium assistance through the Ryan White Program. When I was diagnosed with cancer back in 2004, I was gainfully employed and covered under an employer based healthcare plan. This did not prevent me from becoming buried in insurmountable medical debt. The system was broken!
A few years later I lost my job and then my insurance. The high financial cost of trying to maintain a private health insurance policy with preexisting conditions was not feasible. Preexisting conditions at this point meant I was unable to obtain insurance even if I could afford it, and I did not and still do not qualify for Medicaid. I, like thousands of others, fall into a gap of not being sick enough or not being poor enough to qualify. I was forced to live without health insurance and had no way to afford follow up care and treatment. As a cancer survivor this is terrifying. If you can imagine for a minute the amount of fear and anxiety this causes a person to live under.
NO follow up cancer screenings,
NO treatment if the cancer returns,
NO primary care doctor for minor illnesses that have the potential to become severe or life threatening.
This places me and many like me with the only options available. This often involves using the Emergency Room and hoping I can pay the bills or just go further into debt. The other options were just be sick and hope for the best.
This is what my life was prior to the Affordable Care Act.
After the ACA passed I was hopeful that our Governor, Bill Haslam would expand Medicaid to the thousands of at risk people like myself.
He did not.
At this point I have obtained health coverage through the ACA with premium assistance through the Ryan White Program.
I was finally able to get the cancer screenings that I desperately needed.
I was able to get radiation treatments that I needed.
I now have a primary care doctor (none for many years).
I can avoid using the high cost of the Emergency Room.
I can continue with preventative care and avoid the high cost of untreated illness.
I can continue to work and live without the fear of crippling debt or death just around the corner.

Repealing the ACA is not just a political issue for me.
This is my life.
Under the GOP’s current replacement plan, I will likely be faced with having no comprehensive health insurance yet again.
I will once again face the reality of financial punishment for having a preexisting medical condition while the wealthy are given MORE tax breaks.
I am not an imaginary person in some far off city or state.
I am your friend,
your family,
your neighbor.
Congressman Roe and Senators Corker and Alexander, are you going to vote yes on a healthcare bill that is going to severely punish people like myself? 

~ used with permission from JF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility