Skip to main content

War, What Is It Good For?

We are absolutely right to condemn the suicide bomber’s targeting of innocent civilians and mourn his victims. But as we have seen, in war the state also targets such victims; during the 20th century, the rate of civilian deaths rose sharply and now stands at 90 percent. In the West we solemnize the deaths of our regular troops carefully and recurrently honor the memory of the soldier who dies for his country. Yet the civilian deaths that we cause are rarely mentioned, and there has been no sustained outcry in the West against them. Suicide bombing shocks us to the core; but should it be more shocking than the deaths of thousands of children in their homelands every year because of land mines?  Or collateral damage in a drone strike?  “Dropping cluster bombs from the air is not only less repugnant: it is somehow deemed, by Western people at least, to be morally superior, says British psychologist Jacqueline Rose… The colonial West had created a two-tiered hierarchy that privileged itself at the expense of “the Rest.” The Enlightenment had preached the equality of all human beings, yet Western policy in the developing world had often adopted a double standard as that we failed to treat others as we would wish to be treated. Our focus on the nations seems to have made it harder for us to cultivate the global outlook that we need in our increasingly interrelated world.

-        Karen Armstrong – Fields of Blood 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility