Skip to main content

Feelings and Perceptions - Thich Nhat Hanh

This was an article that was a requirement for my Ethics class in CJCR 5005. I enjoyed the class taught by Dr. Braswell and I have incorporated this article in my COBH 3330 course. 



Feelings and Perceptions

               I was very glad to see Thich Nhat Hanh as the author of one of the selections in this course book.  I have had the pleasure of reading articles written by the author and had wondered if he would be included in the discussion of nonviolence.  The article included here is a goldmine.
               He begins by discussing the challenge of perception. What we often see is not often add up to true perception. For example, we never see the sun as it truly is. We see the sun always through the past as it takes over 8 minutes for the sunlight to travel the immense distance from its surface to our planet.  As he states, we always see the sun 8 minutes in the past. He then discusses how we often misunderstand one another because of errors in misperceptions.  Misunderstanding is a source of human suffering.
               How true this is, that each of us perceive things differently than others.  It is in this perceiving that differences arise. For example, while I worked in the banking industry, we were always taught that should a robbery happen, that afterwards one of the things that those involved in the robber should not do was to share with one another what they remembered happening.  The idea behind this was that everyone sees the same event slightly askew of how others experience the event. By separating bank employees who were involved in a robbery and questioning them individually, a more complete picture of the event often appears. However, should the employees compare robbery stories with one another beforehand, you will surely lose some of the richness and depth of individual perception, as various persons may doubt what they say in relation to what others say and adapt their recollection of the incident to coincide with what others say.
               We must be one with that we want to understand. It is no longer acceptable to be an observer as are we really that distinct from that which we observe? I see this as moving away from viewing criminals as “others.” If we continue to disassociate ourselves from them and categorize them as other, then we are missing out in relational aspects and in our understanding of what it is to be a criminal and what is crime. However, if we see criminals not as “Others” but as ourselves, would this not change our understanding? Would this not have implications on how we relate to them on a personal and system wide basis? Would this carry over into how we address crime issues? If we see THEM as US what would this do to us as a society?

               I love the story about the dangers of clinging on to truth. I experience this on a personal level. I must be careful not to hold on to my perception of the truth. In fact, I may be so completely wrong as to the nature of what is true and what is not true. If I cling to that which I perceive as truth, then when the truth comes along, I will not recognize it as such and in my obstinance I will continue to be in error. Having an erroneous understanding of something is an impediment in walking the eightfold path, namely being able to have the “right view.”  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility