Skip to main content

Eternal Truths?

Some thoughts that I had to submit for a past class: 

Each of us is ultimately alone.
From my perspective, this is true. Ultimately, we are left to ourselves and can only understand, control, and learn in relation to ourselves. We interact with others, love others, build lives with others, but at the end of the day, we are alone unto ourselves. We must live with the choices we have made, we can truly only depend on ourselves.  We come into this world on our own and we leave by ourselves.  The only thing that we can honestly know is the self. There is only the self.  All of our experiences, sensations are filtered through and interpreted our own self and thus the only thing we can be sure of is what we sense. This may be slightly or greatly different from how others perceive.  One thing that all of us share, is that we are all alone.  We can be lonely side by side; we hide from ourselves and our aloneness with one another.
From Spamalot, the musical based on Monty Pythons’ The Quest for the Holy Grail:
“Each one of us is all alone
so what are we to do
in order to get through
we must be lonely side by side
it's a perfect way to hide.”
This particular proverb does not bother me in the least.

33.          All important decisions must be made on the basis of insufficient data.

Yes, in fact, I would say all decisions are made with insufficient data. It is impossible for us to know everything about anything. That is, we see things from a perspective that may or may not be ours alone. It is upon this point of view, that we base our definition of what we think is true, and it is upon our perception of this truth that we make our decisions. Perhaps what we see as clear cut - is not being interpreted with context in mind. To me, context is key to understanding anything and everything.  Perhaps our decision is based upon half truths and partial understanding of concepts or situations. There is always something that we are not seeing. Decisions are based upon the risk of being wrong. There is no decision that is entirely risk free. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility