Skip to main content

Personal Credo

This morning my freshman class shared with each other their own personal credo. Instructors spent a full week discussing values, beliefs, and diversity of thought.  This morning they shared aloud with each other. I believe they enjoyed this assignment. Some of them put a lot of thought into this. I learned quite a bit from them this morning.
I informed them a couple of weeks ago that I would be participating in this exercise with them.
Here's what I brought to the table:


I believe that women have the right to their bodies and control over their reproductive choices.

I believe that our government has a responsibility to its poorest citizens.

I don’t advocate for the use of the death penalty. Peacemaking and rehabilitation is a better use of our criminal justice dollars than putting people to death.

I believe that our country should be a haven for those seeking a better life. Most of us are not more than two generations past Ellis Island. We are a nation of immigrants.  I am an advocate for amnesty for those who are currently living illegally in our country.

I believe that current drug laws should be changed and there should be a legalization of many recreational drugs. Tax it and sell it, this takes away the black market incentive.

I believe that same sex couples should be allowed to legally marry within our country. Love is love is love. This is a civil rights issue.

I do not believe that sex is evil. It is a pleasurable form of communication and should be embraced.

I believe in the freedom for people to practice their religious faith, and for me, freedom of religion means ALL religions. Your religious practices are to be encouraged, unless however, your practices infringe upon my rights and pursuits.

I believe that tax free statuses of religious institutions and organizations should be abolished. This levels the playing field, that is, if religious leaders are going to participate and influence in the political arena, this is price they must pay. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.

I believe that education is a means towards resolving poverty.

I believe that healthcare is a human right and should be accessible, available, and affordable for all.

I do not believe that technology is the answer to everything.

The earth is our only home and more emphasis, money and research should be given so that we can achieve some sort of equilibrium with our environment and do things for the best interest of our survival and for our other distant evolutionary kin. We are not above the web of life, we are part of it.

I believe in the concept of evolutionary change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility