Skip to main content

288 - That Thou Art

This was my class guest speaker from last night. Dr. Mehta is one of the kindest men I know here on campus. He is a favorite of past classes and one of my favorite people here at ETSU. He teaches on the medical campus. He has presented several times and each time, I learn something different. He didn't come to my class with a fancy presentation and lots of "bells and whistles" - he came and simply shared from his life experience and perspective. He told stories. He gave my class a brief glimpse into the richness of literature surrounding his culture. He considers these interactions to be part of his dharma (his duty). It's more than the scope of this class to be able to wrap our minds around this philosophical position and understand it just from this one class setting. He gave us a generous overview and pause for consideration. 
My favorite of his stories has to be the one about Yudhisthira’s journey to the mountains, accompanied by his faithful dog. Yudhisthira was the only one to reach the mountain peak, because he was unblemished by sin or untruth. On reaching the top, Indra, the King of the gods asked him to abandon the dog before entering Heaven. But Yudhisthira refused to do so, citing the dog's unflinching loyalty as a reason. He replied that if this was so, he would stay outside heaven as well; for he could not bring himself to desert any creature which trusted him and wished for his protection. How’s that for a story about compassion and kindness?
Know this Atman unborn, undying,
Never ceasing, never beginning, deathless, birthless,
Unchanging forever
How can it die? The death of the body?
Worn-out garments are shed by the body:
Worn out bodies are shed by the dweller within the body

New bodies are donned by the dweller, like garments. ~ Gita



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility