Skip to main content

In My Head and on My Plate

I’ve been bothered by my eating habits lately. As a NOW middle aged man (there I said it), as an individual with diabetes, and as a public health professional, I feel at odds with this. I love food, you can see that when you look at me. I’ve never missed a meal. Pure pleasure, it can be one of the great joys in life. 
I feel the need to reexamine what I am consuming. I want to eat closer to the earth. That is, eating items that are not so far removed from their sources. No worry, not going vegan here (although I highly respect that for those who can swing that), I just want to step further away from highly processed food items. High fat (or the wrong fats), high salt, high sugar… and so much processing and frying.  I love my fried foods, this is the South right? I could do better. Live foods (thinking salads here) or frozen and fresh meats. Lunch meat is the devil to me…. Mmmmmm I can make a killer sandwich, but damn, look what I’m eating.  The budget is always an issue, but again, I can do better.  Better quality items, for example, any burger from 5 Guys is drastically different than a burger from McDonald's. There’s no comparison. For that matter, fries from 5 Guys are vastly different that what you get from another drive through restaurant. This isn’t about 5 Guys, just an example. 
I’m not going to be a teetotaler, all things in moderation I say. I just need to go in another direction, a better direction. I say all this while eating a salad for dinner. It’s good, but then life is more than just eating salads right? My gods I hope so.

Maybe what I need to do is practice mindful eating. Enjoy the experience instead of just mindless consumption.  I’m sure I’ll be better off considering what goes in my mouth, right? Or does that sound too much like the plotline of an Erica Jong novel?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility