Skip to main content

Straight Talk From One Wearing Crooked Shoes


Something’s been brewing in the back of my mind for a bit. I hesitate to write it out, as it is sure to be misinterpreted and misunderstood by some. And yet, write I must.  I’ll do my best to write as clearly as I know how. However, words and I do this dance and success is not guaranteed.
I’m in the midst of giving birth to my dissertation. Not an easy pregnancy but I am close to bring this baby to term. A tough topic for sure but one that has meaning and one that must be told. It does have a life of its own and I’m doing my best to articulate and explore. The process has been transformative for me on a personal level.
However, I recently noticed something. I had an epiphany of sorts. And now processing this new insight, I find a new awareness and something that needs to be challenged. So here goes…
When did relationships and/or sex between men become primarily reduced to issues of viral risk? Of viral transmission? What happened to intimacy or sexuality?  The assumption is there, it’s always there.  The topic of gay men comes up and immediately the concept of “high risk practices” or “high risk group” comes to mind. HIV/AIDS has been with us for so long, that for many of us, myself included, it’s difficult to think of a time when this big disease with a little name (thank you Prince) wasn’t tagging along for the ride.  I don’t have a point of reference in my own sexual experiences outside of the knowledge or fear of HIV. The year that the CDC issued the MMWR that exploded across the world was 1982, the year I graduated from high school. All of my encounters, all of my relationships, all of my casual partners, all of my safer sex experiences, all of my not so safe experiences, they are defined and informed by this virus. My identity is somewhat based and influenced by HIV.  As an individual and as a sexual minority I have been defined by this.
I’m more than this. My brothers are much more than this.  Going back to what I wrote before, what has happened to intimacy or sexuality? Whatever we are, we are more than what we have settled for. I understand the medical jargon and the need for classification and defining for purposes of characteristics.  But, I’m tired of the HIV tag along that comes with me, it’s like toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I know what people think when they see me and know that my affectional orientation is geared towards men. I know because sometimes people say what they think, and then I sit back and get a glimpse into how they perceive things. Folks from my past become aware that I’m gay and then they say “well how long have you been positive.”  Or “I just assumed you were poz.” I know the assumptions are there. And then they seem surprised if I challenge their assumption. Or better yet, they become strangely silent when I don’t challenge their statement. I’ll let you ruminate on that.  I’m not going to play that game any longer. You can think what you like.
When did it become acceptable to ask someone about their serostatus in general conversation?  Or if it is revealed that someone is HIV positive, what makes it permissible to ask “well how did you contract HIV?” it’s phishing for information; it’s also a way to play the “blame game.” Stop it.
Understand what I am trying to say here. This is not a rant about the fear of HIV, about internalization of HIV related stigma. I’m trying to say (not very well) that my brothers and I are much more than this (labeling). In fact, my positive and negative brothers – regardless of serostatus – we’re more than this. We’re men. We’re men who love men. We’re men who have relationships, we date, we fall in love, we fuck, we set up house, we’re faithful to our partners, and we cheat on our SO, practice safe and not so safe sex. We do all those things that people in any kind of relationship do.  
I want to reclaim my sense of sexuality; however I chose to express it. Does that make any sense? See us for what we are. So next time, try and see us as something more than high risk and in need of the latest efforts in disease prevention. When you are working with us, do more than tell us to wrap it up with latex, maybe give us pointers of how to deepen and strengthen our relationships and interactions with other men? We enjoy each other, physically and emotionally. Sometimes we seek out friends for intimate play, that in and of itself is honorable and between consensual adults. In that sense I affirm a sexual positivity. However, understand that we do more than fuck; we also desire what everyone wants out of relationships.  It’s not always about the mechanics. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility