Skip to main content

Letter to Johnny / How To Survive A Plague


Johnny,

I just finished viewing “How To Survive A Plague” the brand new documentary chronicling the work of ACT UP and TAG in the late 80’s and 90’s. I did not make it to the premiere showing in Asheville recently and this movie has been on my “watch” list ever since I learned of it.
Watching this documentary  was an emotional rollercoaster. Brilliantly done and visceral. I cried multiple times and was angry just as many instances as well.  You came to mind so many times while I watched this; this was a painful reminder of how much I have missed you. It’s a stark marking of the passage of time, of good and bad memories, love and regret, and the possibilities that could have been had you survived and lived on. But of course that is not what happened. I mourned your loss for a very long time and the seeming unfairness of it all. One of the stars of the documentary remarked tearfully that “we all go off to war and some survive and others don’t. Those who come back often wonder why they live on and others don’t.” I understand this to a point and at that moment I grieved for you once again. You’ve been gone for such a long time and yet remembering this cut deeply.

You hid your illness from everyone, including me. I wonder how long you knew before things spiraled downward. It’s certainly not a criticism of how you handled your affairs. I respect the need and the right for privacy and confidentiality. Although times have changed since you've been gone, the stigma associated with HIV is still very real and potent.  Knowing what I know now, I wonder if you had let others, others who loved you dearly to assist and bear some part of the burden you felt, I wonder if you might still be here. I cannot imagine the isolation that I imagine that you felt.  Talking to Larry after you died, he indicated that no one knew and that’s the way that you wanted to keep it. Larry said that you had been ill for some time and that you wanted to keep this hush hush.  And then Larry disappeared, mourning your loss and dealing with his own HIV status.  I've been unable to find him anywhere, and so I assume the worst.

I watched this documentary with mixed feelings. I simultaneously viewed this film piece through multiple lenses, that is, through the eyes of a gay man and also and up and coming public health professional. I wouldn’t say that I was conflicted; I’ll say rather that I saw two sides of the same coin. And I also have the benefit of hindsight and context. These activists did not have this liberty, they were fighting for their lives and for the lives of countless others. They certainly got the attention that they wanted. They forced others to consider what was going on, they were very “in your face.” I certainly don’t blame them. We were in the midst of a plague, and our very government did not give it the attention that was needed or deserved. Politically, there was no political will to make any changes or concessions in AIDS research. The topic itself was taboo as it revolved around issues of gender, sexual orientation, sexuality, morality, intimacy and presentation. That is, the populations first affected were not groups who were part of the dominant culture and were suspect in areas of behavior and moral and social standing.  Religious fascists were quick to claim that this was a just retribution from God Almighty, proof that anything other that heteronormative roles/orientations/couplings were sinful and against nature itself. No wonder people hid who they were. You are aware of my own struggles in living authentically and my journey in getting there.There was open hatred and prejudice. There was violence.  There was talk about branding us and separating us from the general population so that we would infect one another and die off. So much for love thy neighbor as thyself. Some folks are better educated about it now, but sadly the stigma, prejudice, and violence still remain.  I am still angry at these things. Foul and despicable folks like Jesse Helms and Anita Bryant still make me shouting angry. I yelled at the television screen during the documentary; I know you would have done the same.

It’s a fucking virus..a strand of RNA enveloped in a lipid membrane. That’s it. It doesn’t care about sexuality, color, social standing, religious creed or whether you take it up the ass or vaginally. It has a very specific niche, and proliferates under these limited circumstances. Wherever there is a concentration of white blood cells is where transmission can occur…semen, vaginal fluid, blood, and breast milk. It has nothing to do with being good or bad, being godly or sinful.

The medicines that we now have would not be here if not for the efforts of ACT UP and TAG. The issue had to be forced and these folks have had a real impact on the lives of countless others.  AZT was a beginning, a stop gap measure at best, but it was a beginning at least. I don’t even know if you were being treated with AZT during your illness. What I fear is that you were unaware of your condition until the very end. That some lingering illness finally forced you to the doctor (you had no health coverage I know) and that it was here that you found out that you had AIDS. I recall our last conversation at your home late one night, it was an odd conversation and I felt like you wanted to tell me something. Or maybe I am not recalling correctly. I’ll never know and I am left with the feeling that I missed out on something you were trying to say that night. I’m sorry. "Until we know what we don't know, we can't let go."

From my public health training, I understand the need for clinical trials and the money and time spent in research and development. No use in chasing approval for a drug that does not have sufficient efficacy. The documentary shows this clearly and it was something that ACT UP had to learn…the hard way.  As an organization, they learned from their missteps and as a result some real change came. But I will still say that had they NOT acted out as they did, we would not be where we are today. It was a necessary revolution of sorts. But it came too late for your benefit. And we all are at a loss from your absence. I want you to know that my research interests stem largely from my relationships with you, Kevin, and Gary. All of you my friends, brothers and lovers.  I miss you most of all.

I’m in a good place now and about to complete my degree. I’ve privileged to know others living with this “big disease with a little name” and my life is so much richer for it.  They allow me to ask the difficult questions and to wrestle with the implications. They are patient and kind in their responses. They have allowed me to document some of their life stories and I hope to use this to tell anyone who would listen that their stories and experiences are important.  That it is not enough to treat a condition, but equally important is to see the individual behind the health condition and to respond accordingly. I’m sorry for what you endured. Thank you for being in my life. Thank you for the continued inspiration. I love you.

Silence = Death                              Act Up, Fight Back, Fight AIDS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility