Skip to main content

Amendments to the Decalogue

I had my class do a creative exercise last week, as we had been talking extensively about the Jewish Decalogue, I wanted them to come up with 10 Commandments of their own. They could not do a rehashing of the Jewish law, and it was open to any and all things. Here are some of the better ones that they crafted, and one that I wish I could have shared with the class because I found it extremely funny and naughty:


—  Political beliefs shall be kept to thyself (I’m guilty of not doing this, but it has gone crazy lately)
—  Your life writes a story. Decide what story you want it to tell.
—  Do not go to the grocery store with your huge buggy and spend 15 minutes trying to figure out which can of soup to get while blocking anyone else from passing.
—  You must put 5% of every paycheck into a saving account. You can access your savings when you turn 65.
—  Don’t be afraid to be who you truly are
—  Thou shall not chew with your mouth open (no one wants to hear or see that)
—  Thou shalt not run in flip flops 
—  Thou shall not meet people for a study group and copy answers from them.
—  All men MUST shut the toilet lid when done with their business
—  Chew on your words and see how they taste before you say them; if they are bitter, keep them to yourself.
—  Thou shalt not browse cuteboyswithcats.com
—  Own a dog
—  Thou shalt not text drunk. (I have been guilty a time or two)
—  The United States take a lesson from Colorado and Washington state and   legalize it.
—  Don’t surround yourself with negative people. It brings you down and brings out the negativity in yourself. As Sweet Brown says, “Ain’t nobody got time for that.”
—  Thou shalt not post every single little detail and feelings of your life on twitter or facebook
—  Do not have sex with everyone you know.
—  Do not ask anyone for gum, it is 25 cents, buy your own
—  Thou shall never wear socks with flats
—  Protect the earth and all living beast of the earth: future generations will have gratitude for you if you do.
—  Don’t be afraid to question things in life.  Challenge things you are unsure about.  Take time to explore yourself and your spirituality.

And the one that I thought was the funniest but could not share with the entire class:
·         Thou shalt not use teeth during oral sex. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility