Skip to main content

They're Back

Look who's back. I don't think these cicada's are part of the huge 17 year cycle ones, but at least on this side of town, I have noticed their distinctive buzz in the treetops for the last several days. I went walking this afternoon over at Winged Deer and look what I found. So many empty carapaces around, especially on the undersides of leaves. I used to love finding these discarded exoskeletons as a kid, and then scaring my sisters with them.  The last 17 year brood explosion was not that long ago. It's a wondrous sight to behold, they were literally everywhere. No avoiding them, my clearest memories was the excitement of the dogs. These pooches were anxious to go outside and crunch crunch crunch. They ate these things like I would eat M&Ms. Lots of wings and legs in their teeth.... and later on... very noticeable in their poop. I wonder what sort of cycle this year's brood is. All this time, they were underground feeding off of tree root sap. They decided at some predetermined genetic point to come up and change. They fly off, they mate, lay their eggs, and then they die. Maybe we should  not be in such a hurry to grow up eh? Many plants and animals follow suit and do this very thing, they live until they mate and then they make room for future generations. However, we don't do this. Maybe it's because our young cannot fend for themselves and must be brought up in a social group in order to survive. Or perhaps, maybe there's more to life than having babies. Just a thought.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes To Myself - Rambling

Just thinking out loud here – rambling is to follow To go along with my last entry (song lyrics about coming to terms with yourself “when a man of my age”) Love It hurts. It cuts. It’s intense. Let me explain: I know how I feel about Jon, we have dated for a little over two years. It’s wonderful from the get go. I’ve dated him for two years and known him for a little over three years. What I have learned, I love.   Our feelings for one another have progressed along the way.   Am I in love?   Yes. Do I love him? Yes. Emotional barriers came tumbling down in the course of our interactions. I feel as though I know him and I equally feel that I am known by him. This is a powerful thing to me. I want this intimacy more than I care to admit.   How wonderful to share with another, to allow them to know the good and the bad, and in turn, they continue to want to know you and to be with you. The same is true in reverse, I know about him and I continue...

What Is The Basis for My Values / Morality?

 This was a creative exercise that I recently did, a way to think through some things and where my focus and attention is best centered. Cause and effect, that is, every action and deed produces fruit I am a social animal, and there is a basis for living peacefully and skillfully in my social interactions with others Things in and of themselves have no intrinsic existence in themselves, but their identity is relational to everything else around it (hence the need for being able to exist peacefully with others and the environment. Understanding things as they are - that we are all subject to suffering and that my actions should alleviate suffering in myself and others. Right intention - that is - commitment to ethics and mental self-improvement. Right speech, to abstain from deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully. Refrain from slanderous speech and not to speak maliciously of others Don't speak to cause discord Speak the truth, especially when there is an injustice Truthfulnes...

Ep011: #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility